Monday, February 24, 2014

The End is only the Beginning

I made it through my first forty day challenge.  I did 30 hot yoga classes in 38 days with two days to spare.  I also kept to my 5 day miracle diet with no extras for that full 40 days.  So no sugars, alcohol or chocolate etc. have passed these lips since that day back in January when I started my push.  I even went to a dinner with my husbands company and stayed away from fantastic desserts and goodies. I have stopped craving sugar.  I can't remember a time that I did not crave sugar.

I have definitely lost weight and feel stronger each day.  I know that my clothing is fitting better and I am fitting into some older clothing that had not fit for a while. I tried on a jacket this morning that has not fit since before I got pregnant with Joel and it is still a little snug but on it's way.

So the end of one challenge necessitates the next.  I am going to take this week to figure out where to go next.  I plan to keep with the 5 day miracle diet but change it in some ways to help my process.  I also plan to do another yoga challenge to go with this next 40 day diet challenge.  I have been researching Gluten and may choose to do a forty day gluten free.  I will keep you posted on this.

The challenge will start next week when my husband is back from his business trip. There are many people that have helped me on this continuing journey.  Some are at Sumits Hot Yoga Columbia, and some are closer to home, in this case my husband.  I want to thank him for all the help he gives me in making it to my mat and in encouraging my efforts towards a healthy life.   This process takes time and Money and he has not begrudged me either.

Now on the yoga side, here is the scoop I have been working on during my practices for the last while.  The question is "Is balance internal or external?"  For over a year I have been doing yoga mostly with a view of a mirror that allows me to focus on something, albeit myself or a certain point on the wall.  However, how does this work when the focal point becomes internal instead of external.  Instead of relying on that outer point of focus I am trying to bring the focus inside.

This is never more prevalent then during standing poses when you need your balance to keep upright.  I have to really work at turning it inside and keeping balanced within my space.   It is extremely rewarding when it works well, yet it is quite challenging to do.  Controlling the breath helps as well as that is an inherently internal process.  Yet achieving balance while focusing internally is difficult. Often thoughts or motions invade the peace of balance once achieved.

I think that this inner strength and focus is a necessary step towards feeling at one during the practice.  While my internal focus increase so does my feeling of comfort with the practice.  I have less of a urge to get through it and feel more like I am purposeful moving into each position and through each transition.  I feel less like moving through the motions and more like optimizing each movement.  I wonder what a focus like this would do in other areas of my life....

No comments:

Post a Comment