Friday, April 17, 2015

Important Things Not on My Resume: Good taste in Scotch



For a Canadian to admit that I do not drink beer is a big deal. Of course Canadian beer is very different than American Beer.   Wine, while it has it's place, is also not my drink of choice.   I have never been one to drink regularity or too much.  I do not have the best after game for drinking, often feeling a hang over for several days.  So when I do drink it is in moderation.  Thus, the thought that if you are going to do it do it right comes to mind.

So while others might want to have a beer or a rum and coke I prefer a nice sipping scotch.   At least I come by this honestly.  My father's family enjoyed several generations in Scotland, I have pictures of him in short pants running around Glasgow. My folks were never big drinker's but kept a nice quality liquor cabinet for guests.  My mother liked B&B while my father often had good Scotch and Cognac on hand.

I developed a taste for Scotch.  I matured into this over the years, however one night is responsible for long term obsession.  Back in 1993, during my traveling days I spent some time in Scotland.  While in Edinburgh, I was lucky enough to meet a friend who had a fantastic understanding of the elixir.  We met in a bar drinking scotch.   I was obviously not from around there, and he obviously was.   We got to discussing scotch and he said I aught to do a scotch tasting up the hill.  I agreed and we decided to meet up the following evening.

We met up and began the upward journey through the winding ancient streets of Edinburgh.  As we got off the beaten path each pub became less tourist focused and more local hangout.  In each one we tried a scotch.  Each scotch like each pub was different. Some pubs were low light and heated with peat burning in a corner fireplace and some where all bar stools and track lighting.  Here is a web site that lists at least 50 pubs in Edinburgh.  We frankly made it to less then 10 that night.

Some of the scotch's had stronger, earthier flavors than others and others had less of a burn. Each ones was unique.  I must admit that with my poor ability to handle liquor I was probably not noticing the exact differences after a while. I did come out of it with a favorite, Bunnahabhain  12.  Its a lovely single malt from the Isle of Islay.  Every once and a while you can find it where I live, however it is something to be savored and respected.

So why is this important to understanding who I am.  Well when one drinks a good scotch they do not slosh it down with coke and ice. They do not shoot it seeking a fast buzz.  They often let to swim around their mouth savoring it's texture and feel.  This is a savoring and deep enjoyment of a sensation.  It takes a person with patience and deep consideration to drink scotch.  My resume may tell you about my job experience, however, it will not tell you about my patience and appreciation for quality. It will not tell you about my level headed intelligence and respect for those that have gone before us.  It will not to tell you the degree to which I enjoy life and appreciate all it's brilliance.  So, the next time you see someone order a scotch in a bar look a little deeper and see what you might find.

I end this blog with a quote by the Scottish Jewish Historian, David Daiches. While he was born in Lithuania he was raised and live his life in Scotland writing, teaching and drinking Scotch. This is from his 1969 book aptly called Scotch Whiskey.

“The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed.”
- David Daiches,

1 comment: