Sunday, May 31, 2015

Shhhhhhh!!!! There is going to be a Farmers Market at Wakarusa. Don't tell anyone.



OK, this is not going to be a run on post about details, but I am so excited.  Part of me wanted to keep this post to myself and never put it out there, never even write it actually.  Then I just could not take it another minute.  I got up at 7:00 am the Sunday before Waka, the house was silent.  Not a kid, dog or adult were about.   I snuck downstairs to the laundry-room.  Yes, that is where I do my best writing.   Anyway, I digress.

I started writing about this amazing thing.  I am a big gardening head.  I love, love, love, love to make things grow and to eat and preserve locally grown food.  I have even started a business to save a strand of tomato called the Ivan, you will certainly hear more about that Tomato in the future.  It is a wonderful river bottom heritage with great yield and strong old fashion taste and genetics.  So I am way into fresh food.

Anyway, one of the hardest things to do, is to keep vegetables decent in a cooler for 5 days.  It is not going to happen.  Coolers don't come in fridge and freezer side by sides.  Everything is on ice.  This keeps vegetables too cold.  The humidity/water also messes with most of them.  So I end up eating all my good vegetables early on in the festival.  I traditionally make a falaphel lunch for the sites around me and it needs that great tomato, cucumber salad with pita. So it is a challenge.   

This year, THANK YOU PIPELINE, we are going to have an in-house farmers market.  Now, I did not want to tell you all because I greedily wanted to keep all that fine food to myself.  I now fear I will get there to a bag of greens and no vegetables left.  Yet, I take this chance for the love of you all, for the love of healthy eaters everywhere, and for the love of Pipeline, giving them some props for this great idea.  

The Arts Society of Ozarks, other non profits and farmers of Franklin County are bringing us a Farmer's Market.  The location has not been disclosed yet but it is on.  According to Wakarusa's blog post it will have "Asian Greens, Lettuces, fresh Berries, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Herbs, Squash, Tomatoes and more.  There will also be fresh local honey, jams, jellies, cheeses, and some of the best free range eggs you’ve ever tasted!"  I am  so excited about not having to bring the tender vegetables and am interested to try out their eggs, preserves and cheeses.   I love the idea of strolling over daily for my salad fixings and knowing not only, I am eating well but I am helping good causes and local footprint eating. 

If you want to know more about this organization check out the Link artssocietyofozark.org

See you at the market.  Shhhhhhhhh.  Don't tell anyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment