Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Finding a flow

April 29th 2013

Day 5: Definitely feeling the pain in my hips a little today. Frankly the amount of pain I am feeling is so much less than I used to feel on a regular day. Had to turn over a few times last night but nothing like it used to be. You see I sleep on a very soft bed with an extra foam pad and my hips used to just scream anyway. It was much worse on anything harder. So I know this pain but still so much less.

The Yoga class at Sumits stays the same for all 80 minute classes. You get used to the routine, the breaks, what comes next. Some times anticipating the moves. I have to try not to get ahead of the instructor. Deliberate movements, breath. Today I challenge myself to take two breaks. I manage to take one during the flow and one during the abdominal workout. Usually I don't take breaks. All macho and all.

Overall when I was done I hurt a lot less after the class then when I started. This is a very busy time at work with grading and grading and grading to do before graduation sets in for the students. Some how even though this is taking a bunch of time I believe I am more calm and productive during my on times.

Day 6: Well this is truly getting somewhere. Last night was my husbands 42nd birthday. We went to see Gov't Mule and danced for several hours. I was feeling it by the end of the night and was kind of worried this morning would be bad news. Usually I would have taken this excuse to take a break today. But not this time sister. Off I went to Sumits for the traditional 9:00am class. I tried to make myself take two breaks but only took one. Took a break during bridge. It was hot and the class was taught by a great teacher that really helps to correct the positions and get the most out of the experience. Firm and beautifully supportive.

The amazing thing about this journey is that it is one for the mind as well as the body. My body is transforming and my soul with it. There is a real beauty in the peace of being able to focus on your self and your breath every day. Looking yourself square in the face. Seeing. It is a big of mindfulness. Read those books years ago but was too busy to be mindful. Now I have to be mindful each day. I wonder if I will want to stop at 30 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment