Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Situation

This is a story that needs to be told. Not sure if anyone is interested in hearing it but, it will be told just the same. So we find me sitting here ready to tell my story after much effort and overcoming many challenges. I am 43 years old and the mother of two lovely boys. This story really started about 8 months ago. So here goes.

September 2012 I was what you would call a large lady. Not in height, lord knows, as I was standing about 5 foot tall at that point and weight well over two spins. Always voluptuous but also carrying way to much for my frame. I would like to say that this was all the result of having my boys, however my weight problems pre-date that. Certainly having two kids did not help the situation at all.

I was feeling like a beached whale, dressed in organic cotton, facing the decision of to struggle or give in to the inertia. I know it is a great image, however that is truly how I felt. It took effort to get out of the couch and I kept making those 'ohy veh' noises. Like many moms, I still had the stamina to go above and beyond but it was costing me. I knew that something had to change as I felt way older than my 43 years. I worried about how I was going to be there for my kids and what kind of shape I would be in. With family history of diabetes and high blood pressure, I was feeling kind of doomed. My body hurt and I did not know what to do.

Now you may say to diet and work out. However after years of trying diet after diet and struggling with low thyroid I did not have much faith in a positive outcome. The claws of menopause had already started to leave their marks on my world. Hot flashes, cycle interrupt-us, etc.... The hill seemed way too high and the rewards fickle and unattainable. Kind of like the God's of Ovid had been watching me and tossing more hurdles than opportunities.

Then one day things changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment