Thursday, August 1, 2013

Yoga under the stars and thunder in the mountains

I got to do Yoga for the first time on this trip last night.   It was about 10:30 at night when I finally had time to drag out my mat.  I say drag because I was already exhausted.  According to my new Fitbit, which I will talk about in a later post, we had walked over 7 miles already that day. We had visited the mighty Mammoth Springs at the North Entrance of Yellowstone park.  We had also hiked to a hot spring that poured into Yellowstone River and had soaked for a couple of hours.   After getting back to our cabin, making a great dinner and getting the kids to bed I was rather done.   Yet I knew I needed to do some yoga.  Todd, my husband, was encouraging me to get down and stretch. 

So I put on the standing series recording that I had purchased from the Moksha in Toronto and put my mat out on the front porch.  If I was going to do this I wanted it to be outside under the stars.  I was so tired so knew I was not going to be able to do the entire 90 minutes.   I started strong doing many standing poses watching the starts in the sky and feeling the energy of the mountains around me.   The clouds rolled in and eventually lightning started to light up the night sky.  This was also very energizing.   Of course once the rain started in earnest I moved inside and finished up with some floor work.   

I certainly felt all the hiking we had been doing with tight worn out legs.  Yet the sense of peace that came over me once I was done was tremendous.   I fell sleep with ease and slept hard.   Doing yoga to the recording from Moksha was really quite nice.  I know I changed some of the poses up a little to go more with my Sumit poses but most of them were pretty similar.   

Doing Yoga, with it's deep breaths and centering qualities seems appropriate here in the mountains where Mother Earth's energies seem to flow out of the earth and sky like the geysers and hot springs that have immortalized this area.  These is magic in the air and land and I plan to harness it all I can while I am here through Yoga, Meditation and connection to Nature.   

No comments:

Post a Comment