Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Next ... Gluten Free

The next challenge has begun.  Here are the criteria.

1) 30 hot yoga classes in 40 days.
2) 5 day miracle blood sugar maintenance diet.
3) No Gluten

This challenge will take me through March Break and almost to the door of Passover.  Still have not had any sugary things since the first challenge began on the 14th of January.  Feeling better, looking better, clothing fitting better, all good.

I don't weigh in or do any of that stuff.  I do have one level of measurement I can share.  My husband's car is a small standard truck.  For the first time, since I can remember I can pull the seat up a notch further and actually get the clutch down to the floor.  I can drive standard a little easier.  NICE!!!!!  

So I am 8 for 9 in the hot yoga department.  Feeling good about the practice and about melting off the layers.   I need to keep up this tremendous effort to keep the ball rolling in the right direction.  I have been experimenting with a new mat towel... no spoilers... that is for the next blog.  

In terms of food I am doing well.  Still no sugar intake and am learning more about gluten and wheat free.  I am listening to an audio book called Wheat Belly.  Back in the 90's I spent some time cutting out wheat and yeast and it is interesting to see how this has evolved over the last 25 years.  The scientific reality of the GMO evolution of wheat is that it is now a sugar bomb that is more intense then  eating spoons full of sugar right out of the bowl.   It has a higher glycemic index then a snicker bar.

As I sat at Burger King today, watching my youngest play with a friend, I watched these puffy people eating the puffy burgers and felt a sadness for what is happening to our species.  How does one fight against the filler that is in all our food?  I will fight this battle one grueling step at a time. However, most are too stressed out in their lives to even realize this is where a battle needs to be fought.  

I don't think for a moment that I would be this far along without the strength and clarity that comes from a regular yoga practice.  It takes strength to keep going to the mat and provides a calm, self reflection and self commitment that does not come easy.  I also acknowledge that I could easily back slip with just a little chocolate brownie or a shot of single malt scotch.  

Keeping a forty day focus is also a key point as it lets me focus full force without freaking out about never again and your whole life mentalities.  There is a little devil in me that has to keep the door open for someday, not now, and certainly not never options.  

During my down time between the challenges I actually kept up the diet, worked out and stayed away from sugar and alcohol.  However I did not record all my intake with the usual zeal.  I let my self relax a bit, however I did not have any extras in the way of sugar or booze.  

I did an experiment with gluten free during my break by having three days without gluten and then eating a big wheat filled dinner.  I felt terrible after eating it and ended up passing out before the kids.   I then did several more days without it and felt good.  As someone who was not a big wheat eater it did not seem to be a huge departure for me.  I experimenting with a few brands of great gluten free breads I could substitute in for my morning small meal as per the sugar maintenance diet.  It did not seem that hard and showed promise. 

So far I have noticed some changes in my body.  It seems to be more prevalent over the mid section, a very stubborn area to take on.  I feel a sense of deflation and see visual changes in my body over a short time frame.  This could just be the cumulative effect of it all, however I like what I see.  

So the challenge is well in place and will bring me to the door of passover.  I have begun the on line search for gluten free matzo.  It can't really taste worse then it already does,  right... 







No comments:

Post a Comment