Sunday, April 27, 2014

Most likely to...

I went to a very prestigious business school and was voted the most likely to reenact Woodstock.  Not most likely to succeed, get my Mrs, get a job, no... it was most likely to re-create the quintessential music fest of the time of love and rebellion.  Yet I got the high achievement awards in both of my double majors so I was taking care of business and taking names.  So, apparently I was going to reenact it however come out in the black and make sure there were enough bathrooms.

So each year I head off to my escape from adulthood, parenthood and all other hoods.  A music festival in Northern Arkansas is my destination.   I am notably in the older crowd and thus camp in upgraded tree lined areas.  I find myself not quite in the middle of tent city, but still grinding with the peeps.

The only problem with the scenario is I am a bit of a musical barbarian.  I enjoy a sound, a funky groove, a feeling, a combination of sounds, however I rarely listen to what is being said and never remember who I am listening too.  I eventually will recognize the sounds of a band.

So when I am faced with a five day stretch full of music,  6 stages going almost around the clock, it can be a little confusing.  Each year I try to research bands based on the schedule to at least have some, must see's, picked out.

This year my husband is helping me.  He started to create a spotify playlist with a couple songs from each band we like.   As he does not get to come to the festival, this is also a way for him to experience the fun of the groove.   I have not really gotten into spotify before this for the same reasons I need to, I am a musical barbarian, and no name memory makes it hard to look up bands.

So we have been going methodically stage by stage day by day starting with the closest stage and working out.  Wow.  This world of automatic access to everything is unbelievable.  The Waka '14 playlist is a wonderful thing, up to over 100 songs and only part way through day two. At least I will have this as a memorial of this great year's music selection.

The ability to become educated and proficient at any subject is so within our finger tips.   Any subject or area of interest is within our phones, tablets and even computers waiting discovery.  No longer are we limited by our weaknesses or lack of access to knowledge.  Not saying I don't need to listen to this several times to drill anything into my long term memory.  

Does this mean I have to reenact Woodstock because 'I can do anything I want'... or does it mean I can do anything I want because I can reenact Woodstock, if I really wanted to...  I think for now I will just settle for a new bunch of sounds and some chill time to look forward to. Woodstock may have to wait a bit yet but I'm not ruling it out.    

 


No comments:

Post a Comment