Thursday, April 3, 2014

Bikram check...

Hot yoga's most notable practice is Bikram, named after Bikram Choudhury, the first to patent and franchise the practice of Hot Yoga. He has been doing his system since the 1970's, however in the last few years hot yoga studios have popped up everywhere.  He is also the uncle of my yoga practice creator Sumit. 

Bikram is a 90 minute practice that is at 105 to 107 with a humidity of  around 40%.  The practice has 26 poses and it starts and ends with a breathing exercise.  The class is 100% poses, so no flows.  There is no music and they don't open the doors to let cold air in.   It is known as a serious challenge and people seem to either love or hate it.  I sort of feared that I would try it and find that I had been kidding myself all along thinking I was strong.  

So I took the kids to St. Louis for a couple days over March Break, (what Canadian's call Spring Break... Eh.) My folks were with us, so I had help but I also knew it was going to be a stressful experience.   So I planned to do a hot yoga on the second morning.  There was a bikram about 10 minutes from the hotel.   

The night before the practice I slept terribly.  I was in a Hampton Inn with my own room connecting to my folks and the kids.  I should have slept like a baby.  But I did not.  I was worried about doing Bikram.   I got up early when I heard the kids jumping around in the next room.  I got into my yoga clothing and got ready to head to bikram.  

When I got to the class I greeted the instructor and told her I had not done Bikram before but did have experience with hot yoga.   She gave me the run down and sent me towards the rooms.   She was very kind and I think her name was Deanne. 

When I got into the room the first thing that hit me was the smell.  Bikram has carpeted floors.  This seems like a very faulty plan for a class where you sweat and sweat and sweat.  I could tell they had tried to keep it as clean as possible but the fact is carpet absorbs liquid.  So as you got closer to the ground you smelled it more.   I got used to it rather quickly, which surprised me.   

So I found a place in the first row by the mirror.  A couple of nice people came up to me and recommended I move to the back if it was my first time.  I thanked them but said that I liked to be by the mirror to help with balance.  So I set up and waited for class to start.   

The class followed the same flow through the body as Sumits does.  It had many of the same poses but of course without the flows.  It had a nice starting pose that was for breathing and I enjoyed that.  The poses were often held a little longer then I was used to and required much strength.   

By half way through the class the instructor, with a little reassuring wave from me, realized I knew what I was doing and she did not have to outline things as much.  By the end of the class I felt great.  I not only made it through, frankly I made it through strong.   I took my usual amount of breaks but nothing out of the ordinary.  

Overall I would say it might be a stronger strength work out from holding poses, but it is by far a less strenuous cardiovascular work out then Sumits.  The flows really get my heart up and help me feel like I am getting the exercise I need.  I am not saying I would not do Bikram if given the chance, however I would say that I feel very thankful that Sumits is the club in my town.  

After the class the instructor told me I was very flexible and had a very strong practice. I then admitted that I was a Hot Yoga Junky.  She was very kind and I would recommend people who wish to try Bikram do so in Chesterfield Missouri. 



No comments:

Post a Comment