Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Steroid Chihuahua Girl

Over the last few weeks I have experienced something akin to alien possession. After living in Missouri for 18 years I developed allergies.  I think it is from the quick onset of spring we had due to the late spring bloom.  Everything bloomed at once and my system was just overloaded.  For weeks I was feeling a presence in my throat.  I finally went to an ENT and found out it was allergies.  He prescribed me a steroid nasal spray.

I have never been one to take any de-congestion drugs.  I figure they just prolong the sickness.   After taking the spray I almost immediately  felt a difference in my throat and sinuses.  Totally cool so far.  Then I started noticing that I was getting a little more short with the kids and was having a hard time chilling out. Then I made the connection that this feeling was stronger after I did the spray.

Now to add to this I was having a very stressful few weeks.  The list was hard and heavy.

  • End of the semester grading and rap up.  
  • Getting courses ready for summer,  
  • Planning two kids birthday parties.  
  • Planning and Family night at the synagogue,
  • Executing one of the birthday parties at the house including Domo and cut the rope games, and obstetrical course.  
  • Mega huge garage sale of stuff that we have been cleansing out of the house for about 9 months. 
  • Getting ready for Wakarusa Music Festival
So for a while I dismissed it to overload and stress.  Then I mentioned it to my husband one night as we hung out.  He said I was roiding. He told me my national sports career was over.  He said I had been rather touchy lately.  To which I was ready to bite his head off.  Grrrrrr.  Then I thought about it and realized I was freaking out.  

On top of everything else I had not done enough yoga for several weeks in a row and was feeling off target with that.  I had still stayed away from Gluten but had not been eating the snacks at the right time.  I felt like there were a bunch of factors adding to the problem. 

The real kicker was when I went to do yoga and could not unhook at all.  I could not even slow down the parade of to do lists and worries.  I got out of class with as little relaxation as I  had ever experienced. I felt like a little out of control chihuahua, all twitchy and unpredictable.  I came home and told my husband that I could not take that stuff any more.  I was off it.  No more.  There had to be other options because I was not willing to let myself be taken over by such alien feelings in my life.

Now it is a week later and I have not taken the steroid stray for quite some time.    Thankfully the throat issues has not returned.  I am free of the steroid and feeling much myself again.  I work so hard to create a calm and happy life for myself and my family that it is amazing how fast it can be taken off base by something as easy as a nasal spray. I know I am quite sensitive to stimulants but lordy lordy.  No more Steroid Chihuahua Girl.  

No comments:

Post a Comment