Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Intentional Yoga

So I am on the road trip with the wonderful little boys, 6 and 10.  We are stopping with people along the way, some of them friends and some of them family.  They all live in very different environments.  The last stop was Kalamazoo.

There I got to visit a studio called Intentional Yoga.  It is technically in Portage Michigan www.intentionalyoga.com.  It was a lovely studio.  A little smaller room then I am used to, however a very functional and nicely put together space. It had radiant floor heat.  The room could accommodate three rows if used efficiently.  The instructors were both wonderful.  The first day was Devon a young man that just had that vibe like you have known him a long time.  The second day was Jen and she was very good with adjustments.   

The sequence was very similar to what I am used to doing.  There were marked differences in some of the standing poses and flows.  It added a couple of variations and actually allowed for a little less breaks.  It felt so good to do something familiar.  I knew when I was away from my sequence I would miss it.  The second day I was able to adjust to the changes but still found a few of the transitions difficult.  Kind of falling down the rabbit hole with changes in places you don't expect.   This also has been mirrored in my off the mat experiences and preludes. 

Now for the deep part of this one, as most folks know, when you travel to visit your home town, there is always some sort of tension brewing and feelings are running high.  I have lived away from my family for the better part of 20 years.   Visiting has always been a priority and has taken up a lot of my time off.  My mother always said, "If you did not put the time into a relationship then it was just a relationship in your head. Oh yah and ... That and $2 will get you a cup of coffee."  

This opportunity to do Intentional Yoga allowed me to have some space from the experience of all these rabbit holes and dynamics that push buttons with a skill, honed like a spanish steel blade. So, today I thought about family and friends, relationships, expectations, shoes to fill, pegs to fit into, and feelings. As I breathed through the meditation, one position at a time, I tried to come to peace or at least acceptance.  I focused on accepting what is and what is not, feeling it, good and bad.  I came out feeling at ease with taking the next step in the journey.   A path that actually frees me up to be more true to who I am, accepting what is, if that makes any sense.  

We had a lovely day at the Kalamazoo Children's Museum and then drove to the next stop for an uncomplicated night in a hotel with a great pool, hot tub and lovely meal with family.  The kids positively wore themselves out. It was a day that ended so much better than it began.  Focusing on the issue, intentionally... and letting myself digest, feel, come to peace, and move on, allowed me to enjoy this wonderful time with my boys and family.  We had a blast in the pool, it was one of those times you lock up in the memory banks.  Here they are below. Good night boys.  Thank you Intentional Yoga :)

     


No comments:

Post a Comment