Friday, June 21, 2013

Shake it up.

Lately folks have been going to a Herbalife shake club called Suite Leaf after hot yoga.   I went a few weeks ago for the first time on the recommendation of a yoga mate Rob.  Got a yummy chocolate shake that came with a lovely tea and an aloe shot.  The shakes are meal replacement protein formula packed with healthy stuff.  

My students had been talking about this last semester and how it helped them loose weight etc.   One student was dared by her mom to loose 20 lbs before graduation for a new wardrobe before she started her new job.   By the way, well done Samantha W., I bet the outfits are lovely. 

So I started going there a couple times a week just trying it out.  I don't really like the idea of being dependent on a diet plan and know that I need to respect portion control to succeed in the long run.  Yet the shakes are yummy, fast, and fill me up for a few hours.   I like the idea of something that is easy and allows me to get on to the next tasks of the day. Did I mention they have coffee flavors.... 

The ladies at the club are very lovely, taking the time to check on your progress and encourage you along.   Their plan requires you to have two shakes a day. This would entail eating breakfast.  Yet, for a while now I have been hard core on the 9:00am class after I drop the kids at school.  I have been strong at that time and it works well with my schedule.  I don't eat anything before class, however it is early in the morning so I am not hungry.  When I have eaten within two hours of class it usually ends badly with heart burn and other unhappy outcomes. 

Yet I know you are supposed to eat something first thing in the morning to get your metabolism going and the thought of a small shake sounded possible.  Maybe if I ate it early enough, I could do it and not have it backfire in the class.   I bought a small portion of the stuff and took it home.  

The last two mornings I have had a shake with about 1/2 the protein and meal replacement stuff as in a normal shake.  I have had it at about 7:30 am.  I also have been taking vitamins which normally I would not have remember to do.  So I am increasing the nutrients and getting some protein rich stuff in me early.   

The last two morning's hot yoga classes have been different than previous with a marked difference in energy and staying power.  I did not take breaks either day.  Strange, as I had gotten used to needing breaks.  I felt less fatigued during the class, and less hungry after.  While this only make sense, of course, the challenge was keeping food down during the class.  So these shakes were quickly absorbed so that I easily used the energy in the class and did not have trouble with digestion.    

So far so good, we will see.  I am looking at this as another tool in my process of health, flexibility and balance.   My husband has been eating protein each morning within  30 minutes of waking and it his helping him balance his cravings, energy and eating.   I hope this will also change my patterns up a little and if it also gives me more power on the mat I am all for it.   

Shake it up baby now...

No comments:

Post a Comment