Friday, June 28, 2013

Return to Moksha Thornhill and Misconceptions about radiant floor heat

I did a great Moksha Hot Yoga Power Flow 75 minute class, at the Thornhill location. It was wonderful. Heather was the instructor.   I had taken a class with her a few months back in another location.   She was so good at describing little adjustments to activate positions.  www.thornhill.mokshayoga.ca 

There were a few little beauties that I want to remember for my ongoing practice.  When you are in a flow sequence and lift the leg up and back while in downward dog. Then you square your hips down and flex the foot.  Well then she said to lift the leg by activating the inner thigh muscles.  Lifting up and back with those muscles really activate that entire pose.  She also did an adjustment to happy baby by saying to tilt your tail bone down when you are in the pose.  This flattens the lower back and totally amplifies the pose.  

As I do with all instructors, I ask them about my two trouble positions.  One is a forward fold and the other is rabbit.  She helped me with a second forward fold that could be rotated with the one I have real trouble with in class.  You fold forward and then you grab the big toes and roll your weight forward.  For the alternative to rabbit she suggested a sitting position where you curve into a cat like pose while holding on to your knees.   So glad to have these suggestions in my tool box..  

The class was a power flow class.  When I asked Heather what that meant to her she said, it was about building internal power not external power.   She was so right.  The class was challenging and required you to hold on to poses longer.   There may have even been fewer poses then normal in this longer format class.  We held the poses and really felt the power growing inside.  I felt so wonderful after the class.  

Now I have to say I also found out I had some misconceptions about radiant floor heat.  It seems that the floors are not heated.  The heat comes from overhead heating panels, however the floor is bamboo which holds in the heat. This kind of makes sense because all the places I felt had radiant heat actually had the same type of floor.  The floor holds the heat and emanates it back out at you.   Oppps retraction retraction for all previous comments about radiant flooring.  Now it will just be natural fiber bamboo flooring that I know holds this heat. Still felt a little extra stress on my feet from that heat.  Certainly something I would get used without much trouble.    

No comments:

Post a Comment