Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Road Trip to Yoga Buffet

A friend of mine described yoga as buffet of options.  I know that Sumit's theory is to do the same work out every day and get better and better.  But some times you crave a little different position, or something new.  I know in the past when I have tried other types that I am ready to go back to my routine when done with my wild side.

I am going on a Hot Yoga road trip.  Well not quite a road trip just for Hot Yoga, I am taking the boys to see the family on both my husband and my sides.  It will be a round trip of about 2000 miles.  Just me and the kids.  To keep my cool I will take hot yoga classes in as many places as possible.  The reality is you can find classes in so many cities these days. With the help of my friend and family, watching the kids, I hope to get some time to keep my exercise routine going.  Thanks in advance.

The first stop will be Kalamazoo where I will try the intentional yoga studio.  This is the only one in Kalamazoo so it is pretty easy picking it out.  I imagine I will get to do one class there as I will only be in the zoo for two days.    The studio used be a Sumit when it first opened but has gone it's own way.  I will be really curious to see if the routine is different.

Second stop will be Toronto where I will have my choice of literally over 100 studios specializing in every type of yoga.  There are various chain yoga brands as well as many independent places.  I can choose from Bikram to exclusive studios that go for over $100 a class.    There seems to be some places that combine Chinese medicine, massage, acupuncture, and even natural food with the hot yoga offerings.  My goal is to try at lest two or three different types during the stop in Toronto.

A couple that look interesting include the Hot Yoga Wellness center which has aerial yoga where you do yoga hanging from silk cords.  This helps to decompress the spine apparently.  Sounds like a scene out of a pink video.  Another one is Iyashi Bedrock Spa where you do your yoga on 44 degree slabs of rock.  That one makes me think I should see Wilma and Betty come in with Mats over their backs.   I will keep you posted on what I can get to. Toronto is a big city, parking sucks and is expensive, and I have to balance my kids needs too.

Lastly, will be the suburbs of Indianapolis.  There seems to be a place called HTL Yoga that offers a variety of hot yoga classes.  They even offer something called Paddle board yoga.  I will hopefully have the chance to take one yoga class during that stop.

By the time I get back I will be craving the routine of Sumit's classes and the familiar faces of my instructors in my home town. I will keep you posted along the way with you adventures.  We will see if Hot Yoga can balance the joys and stresses of seeing family and friends and driving cross country with kids. Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment