Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Art of Community

Before leaving for Wakarusa I went to Michaels to get glow sticks.  All things are better with glow sticks.   On my way to the restrooms I noticed they had their canvas sales on.  7 Canvases for $14,99.  Each canvas was 12 inch square.  I also noticed the sharpies near by.   Well the idea stuck and I went for it.  I got a set of 12 sharpies with paint brush tips and a few more accent colors not in the kit.   I figured I would put them on the table in camp and let people go nuts.  Well it worked.  

We started the festival with two canvases and people did small drawings of things happening.  Slowly those got busy and more came out.  Sunday night pretty much every inch of space had been filled by over 100 people.  One of the panels became a signature page where people put messages or left their mark. Friends. Contributors, Artists, Musicians. Poets, They all stopped by and were intrigued by the project. 

Strangely with the mud we stuck closer to camp this year.  People stopped by visiting each others camp and sharing hospitality of snacks, drinks, tunes and stories.  The canvases made their way around the people with little details filling in.  The paint brush sharpies were wonderful.  They just kept going.  Seriously used them to extreme.  

I got kind if fixated on them to be honest.  Spending a bunch of time working on them. Enjoy. 

These pictures turned us all into artists, children, and critics.  I guess you can take my kids out of the scene but you can't take the mom out of me. Juice boxes anyone?  




No comments:

Post a Comment