Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Flexibility and Strength = Balance

Day 14:  The instructor today, who I have learned is named Mark, focused on the concept that achieving balance is a mixture of flexibility and strength.  Life requires a different mix of those depending on what you are trying to achieve.  Some things it take more flexibility and some things more strength. With the two together you can accomplish most things.

I know that, for me, this is key.  I have tried many work out and diets routines in the past and I know I need flexibility in my choices or I will loose focus.  Cutting out all carbs, or sugars, or protein, etc does not work for me. I know it works for many people.  I need variety.  I was always the type of person that if you told me I could not do something or have something I wanted it more and found a way around to get it.  If you told me I couldn't have any carbs I would carb load like a beast.  If you told me no chocolate then I was off to the store to get a bar.  I somehow need to know I can at some point, have anything and everything and yet still keep within my plan.

This is why logging my food intake in a system like My Fitness Pal is working for me. I can track carbs, calories, net calories, fats, etc.   I don't have to be limited and I can experience flexibility. I still need a great deal of strength to keep my portions in line and my sweet tooth under control.  Yet the flexibility is key.

When it comes to work out I also think this is key. While I am on the 30 day challenge Hot Yoga is my focus.  Yet I know that I will need some variety.  During the build up to this current stage I was lucky to be able to do Curves and Yoga to get my work out in.  I also enjoy hiking, walking, gardening etc... lots of great ways to burn a few calories and build muscle.

In life in general I need strength to keep focused and flexibility to keep my options open.  These together do help achieve balance.  I wish you all a balanced day.



No comments:

Post a Comment