Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mid way starting to feel it.

Day 18: 

So this is a weird time.  I did day 17 and 18 and have found that I am a little tighter, maybe kind of tired too.  Several of the instructors have said this is normal.  You are not giving your body any breaks and stressing it each day.  One of them said that Sumit teaches that you have to get to this point so you can learn to take breaks.  Your body is forcing you to listen to it and take breaks where and when you need them.   This sounds like a simple lesson but not for some of us.  

I am the kind of person who is relatively driven in my life and pursuits.  I am not saying I have to have the best of things, not at all. I just am very goal focused.  So when I get on a path I push it through to some point I can justify stopping.  So when I am doing this practice I pride myself on making through the 80 minutes only taking the required breaks in the routine.  I like the adrenaline rush afterwards. But my hips are getting tired and my leg muscles are growing leaps and bounds.  Yet they are fatigued.   

For the last two days I have forced myself to take two breaks each class.  I took off the first standing pose and the third flow.  They are both pretty demanding on the hips.  so I figured give them a break.  It felt good, to lay there during that time, and just focus on giving the parts of my body that need it honor for their limits.  I will switch it up and take different breaks in the future so I keep up on all the poses.  

Taking breaks in the rest of life not so easy either.  We have built these constructs that require us to push to our limits so far beyond comfortable that we don't have the time for breaks.  We can't take a break as the opportunity cost is too high.  Then life slows us down by force.  We catch a cold or the flu and we are out of it for several days.  Our bodies took the break it needed.  We had no control over it.  I wonder if we take more self imposed breaks would it reduce the extra breaks our body needs us to take? 


No comments:

Post a Comment