Sunday, May 19, 2013

What quits first your mind or your boy?

Day 25:
Mind over matter and all that.  I am a creature of intuition and instinct.  I believe, that I have  a good sense of how I feel and what my capacity is. I showed this video today at a leadership training program I hosted.  The session was on motivation.
Now I am not really a sports person and usually this type of stuff is over the top for me. Yet is illustrated the mind over matter issues quite well.  Dude did not think he could keep going.  

So in the yoga class an instructor said that we give up in our mind before our body does.  I do tend to kind of plan things to go down.  I kind of think, oh I am giving out, I should just take a break, I should drop that pose, I have done enough, my leg is going to give out anyway... and then of course I drop.  I need to work on that determination.

At times I can talk myself into defeat before my body has given out.   Conversely I can also build myself up over my physical limits by over estimating my potential.  Like deciding I could move 7 cubic yards of top soil once dumped on the side of my house. So which is it.  Like a true Gemini I can see this one both ways.  However how do we know the difference between needing a break and planning to fail?  This must be a wisdom that takes a while.  Working on it. 

During class I try to think about what I was like at the age for that day. So for today, day 25, I think back to what I was up to at 25.  I had, at that point, left to go travel the world with a back pack on my back.  I was traveling through Israel, the Middle East, and Europe.  Great fun.  Best developmental years of my life.  I put a challenge out there, that thinking back, was kind of daunting.  I left with some cash and a one way ticket, only coming back home when my family demanded it or I ran out of cash.  

I learned a huge amount about myself and frankly stretched my envelope in almost every way it deserved stretching. Many people would have been put off by the uncertainty and there were moments of it.  I had to use mind of matter in many situations to keep my wits about me.  I learned how much more strength I had then I expected myself to have.  

In this challenge I so far have gone beyond my initial expectations. However to get to my goal of being healthy in mind, spirit and body I am going to need much more strength, focus and power. Mind over matter sustained over time, is in order.  Yet I need to honor the body and give it breaks as well.  I guess I just need to put blinders on and keep going.  One day at at time. One practice at a time.  






No comments:

Post a Comment