Saturday, May 4, 2013

Radiant heat and the healing power of yoga.

Day 9: I did an early morning flow class because my day was power packed. I am a faculty member for Stephens College, a private women college in Missouri. Today was graduation for our on line programs and masters level students. So I did the 7:00 am class with the help of the lovely Emily coming to watch the kids and feed them breakfast.

I did a longer flow class in Toronto in March that was similar but had radiant heat. At Moksha Hot Yoga in North York and Thornhill they have bamboo flooring that had radiant heat. There was no escape to get out of the heat. It came at you from below. Yet it was effective. It was also not humid there. I love the humidity in the class at Sumit. I love the sweat. It is cleansing.

Anyway I digress. The Sumit flow class was only an hour long and it seemed to be over rather quickly. It was effective and there were some new moves that made me once again a novice in the corner giggling to myself. Hehe hahaha there is no way my bottom should be directly above my head at this point. lol. The regular Sumit program is 80 minutes long and it stays the same each time so you work and work to get better and better at the same sequence. Some times there is a slight change in the fourth flow but that is still only two variations. So doing something different in this hour flow class was good and also odd.

Day 10: Today I got back to my 80 minutes. There was a new instructor today. A dude. Not used to a dude but he was really good. Each instructor adds their own position pointers and adjustments. It makes it fresh and a spiral of learning. The dude was very nice and added on a twist to the warrior 2.

I think I am through the hip pain. It was a little sensitive yesterday but today is much better. Less pain, but still limited mobility in the right hip. I think this hip thing may be from years of caring babies on my hip. Oh well. As yoga seems to be healing so many of my physical and mental concerns this too shall pass.

Thinking about healing. I feel like I have been on quite the journey of healing. Not just getting in shape and losing weight but actual healing. When I went to have a check up recently the following things were of note:

I am taking less thyroid medication and my numbers are good on that.

My blood pressure is 110 or 67, down from 130 over something or other last year.

My sitting pulse is at 58.

My weight was down.

I have not had a major flue or sickness since I started hot yoga almost 5 months ago. However even saying the last point makes me scared to tempt the fates of life and flaunt that records. As my maternal grandmother would say, bleee eyen hora, which is without the evil eye, phee phee phee.

Lastly I am over an inch taller. Yes taller. At the ripe age of 43 I have grown over an inch. I am now 5 foot 1 and a half. I was 5 foot nothing for the last 31 years...

So yes yoga is healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment